Odisha to formulate a new policy to avoid elephant deaths
Bhubaneswar: With elephant deaths taking place at regular intervals, the Odisha government has decided to formulate new policy in order to protect jumbos from electrocution and other accidents, official sources said.
The government has estimated Rs 21 cr to be spent for the new plan.
The decision in this regard was taken during review of Elephant and Tiger Management Policy by Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik.
As a number of elephants die due to electrocution and train mishaps, the government has decided to spend money on repair of sagging live electric wire in elephant passage areas, said Chief Conservator of Forest (Wildlife) J D Sharma.
Both forest department and energy departments have been asked to identify places where electric wires sagging have occurred in elephant corridors. The officials were asked to tighten electric wire and put additional poles, they said adding that Keonjhar, Dhenkanal and Bhanjagar have been identified as the places where maximum elephant electrocution cases are reported.
"We will take up electric wire repair work at certain places on priority basis," said a senior official of energy department.
This apart, Sharma said the state government`s request the Railway Ministry on speed restriction in elephant passage route may yield result soon. Elephants have died in train mishaps at Huma in Ganjam district.
The state government`s proposal before Centre for constituting Special Tiger Protection Force in Satkosia sanctuary was also discussed in the meeting. Issues relating to proper rehabilitation for the people residing in the core areas of Similipal and Satkosia sanctuaries were also discussed, a senior official said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- SC asks Haryana Police to quickly finish AIPMT paper leak probe