Panther dies after fall from 40 feet tall tree
Udhagamandalam (TN): A four-year old black panther, a rare species, died today after it fell from a 40-foot tall eucalyptus tree near Manjakombai, about 30 km from here.
Forest department sources said the panther climbed on the tree to eat honey but slipped and died under the impact of the fall this evening.
Officials and a veterinarian rushed to the spot and examined the body, they said, adding a post-mortem would be carried out tomorrow.
In another incident, a bear caught in a noose was rescued and released back into the jungles, near Manjoor, about 20 km from here.
The bear, trapped last night, was tranquilised this morning. The veterinarian applied medicine all over its bleeding body and it was later released to the jungles.
An inquiry would be held on who placed the noose in the area.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi launches 'Smart City Project' in Pune
- Panel discussion on how Pampore attack destabilized India's relation with Pakistan
- Panel discussion on how Pampore attack destabilized India's relation with Pakistan - Part II
- Panel discussion on how Pampore attack destabilized India's relation with Pakistan - Part III
- Hafiz Saeed warns of jihad to free Pak rivers from India