Panther dies after fall from 40 feet tall tree
Udhagamandalam (TN): A four-year old black panther, a rare species, died today after it fell from a 40-foot tall eucalyptus tree near Manjakombai, about 30 km from here.
Forest department sources said the panther climbed on the tree to eat honey but slipped and died under the impact of the fall this evening.
Officials and a veterinarian rushed to the spot and examined the body, they said, adding a post-mortem would be carried out tomorrow.
In another incident, a bear caught in a noose was rescued and released back into the jungles, near Manjoor, about 20 km from here.
The bear, trapped last night, was tranquilised this morning. The veterinarian applied medicine all over its bleeding body and it was later released to the jungles.
An inquiry would be held on who placed the noose in the area.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Farmers' woes: Why are farmers forced to sell onions at lower prices?
- Onion farmers' woes: Why are farmers forced to sell onions at lower prices? - Part II
- Onion farmers' woes: Why are farmers forced to sell onions at lower prices? - Part III
- Clash between two football players leaves one dead
- Is the bread you are buying increasing your risk of cancer?
- India braces for more heat after temperature breaks records; over 300 dead in Telangana
- Manipur HSLC Result 2016, BSEM HSLC Class 10th Results 2016, Manipur Board HSLC (10th Class) Results 2016 to be declared on May 24
- Sensex falls for 4th day on Fed rate hike caution
- Divyanka Tripathi, Vivek Dahiya to marry on July 8
- Ageing is not bad at all, Sushmita Sen explains why!