Panther dies after fall from 40 feet tall tree
Udhagamandalam (TN): A four-year old black panther, a rare species, died today after it fell from a 40-foot tall eucalyptus tree near Manjakombai, about 30 km from here.
Forest department sources said the panther climbed on the tree to eat honey but slipped and died under the impact of the fall this evening.
Officials and a veterinarian rushed to the spot and examined the body, they said, adding a post-mortem would be carried out tomorrow.
In another incident, a bear caught in a noose was rescued and released back into the jungles, near Manjoor, about 20 km from here.
The bear, trapped last night, was tranquilised this morning. The veterinarian applied medicine all over its bleeding body and it was later released to the jungles.
An inquiry would be held on who placed the noose in the area.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Videos of Indian casualties on Pakistani channels 'doctored', say Army sources
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof