Recycling urban sewage answer to water woes: Experts
New Delhi: Recycling sewage for human use is the solution for depleting water in rivers and lakes, and rising domestic and industrial waste in Indian cities and towns, said participants at a seminar here Monday.
The two-day seminar on urban India`s water supply and waste management challenges - `Excreta Does Matter` - has been organised by the Centre for Science and Environment (CSE) as part of the second Anil Agarwal Dialogue 2013.
"The government should raise awareness among public that treated sewage water is safe and can be used for many purposes," said Uday Kelkar, director, NJS Consultants, an engineering consulting firm that specialises in environmental engineering.
He added that the stigma attached to drinking treated sewage water should be removed, as it has the potential to become one of the cleanest source of water in the future.
Sriniwas Chary, professor, Administrative Staff College of India (ASCI), Hyderabad, said sewage and health were interconnected.
"Sewage mismanagement would lead to health hazards, as it is not seen as a public health concern, nor an integral component of sanitation. There is no data, research or understanding on sewage management," Chary said.
Arunabha Majumder, professor, Jadhavpur University, West Bengal, said: "Although there are several traditional methods and new technologies to treat sewage, there is poor assessment and poorer planning by the urban local bodies in this regard. They need to take more initiative."
The event saw participation of experts representing private sector, government and non-profit organisations from various states of the country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Why did Indrani Mukerjea attempt suicide?
- Dadri lynching: Locals stop Arvind Kejriwal from entering Bisara village
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves