Rio de Janeiro declared World Heritage Site
St. Petersburg: The landscapes of Rio de Janeiro have been entered onto the World Heritage List, the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization said.
The decision regarding the Brazilian city was adopted by UNESCO`s World Heritage Committee at its 36th session in Russia`s second-largest city.
Brazilian President Dilma Rousseff said that the UNESCO designation was a "reason for pride for all of Brazil" and an incentive to continue with Rio`s "revitalization".
In a communique the head of state added that the designation comes at a time when the city has proven that it has "management competence and capacity to host important national and international events," including the recent UN conference on sustainable development.
In addition, she noted that Rio will be one of the sites for the 2014 soccer World Cup and the 2016 Olympics.
The UNESCO panel, which is tasked with ensuring fulfilment of the tenets enshrined in the 1972 World Heritage Convention, is made up of representatives of 21 countries elected by the signatory nations.
At the beginning of the 36th session of the Committee, which will last until July 6, the World Heritage List included 725 sites in 153 countries.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- WATCH: At 430/9, India needed 24 runs to avoid follow on. What Kapil Dev did next will blow your mind!