Rules to conserve wetlands notified
New Delhi: The environment ministry Thursday notified the Wetlands (Conservation and Management) Rules, 2010, to ensure better conservation and management of existing wetlands in India and to prevent their degradation.
The rules prohibit activities like industrialisation, construction, dumping of untreated waste, and reclamation which are harmful to wetlands. Activities such as harvesting and dredging may be carried out in the wetlands but only with prior permission from the authorities concerned.
"This is the first time that legally enforceable rules are being notified for such eco-sensitive areas in our country. This will go a long way in protecting our wetlands which are under severe threat," said Environment Minister Jairam Ramesh.
There are 25 wetlands in the country and they are critical for human development and wellbeing as a large number of people are dependant on them for drinking water, food and livelihood.
Research suggests that over-exploitation of fish resources, discharge of industrial effluents, fertilisers and pesticides, and uncontrolled siltation and weed infestation, among other reasons, have wiped out or severely damaged over one-third of India`s wetlands.
Ramesh said the ministry has asked the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) and other institutions to undertake a comprehensive mapping exercise, delineating all the wetlands in the country.
Under the rules, wetlands have been classified for better management and easier identification.
The Wetland Regulatory Authorities and Appraisal Committees have been set up at the central, state and district levels to ensure proper implementation of the rules and perform all functions for management of wetlands in India.
Apart from government representatives, each of these bodies will have a number of expert members to ensure that wetland conservation is carried out in the best possible manner.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly