Six-year-old tigress released in Panna reserve
Bhopal: After successfully translocating a six-year-old tigress from Kanha National Park to Panna Tiger Reserve, the park management at Panna released the striped animal in the wild on Sunday.
"We have released the tigress brought from Kanha successfully in the wild this morning and are closely monitoring its movements through the signals being emitted by the radio-collar fitted on the feline," Panna Tiger Reserve Director, R S Murthy told PTI from Panna which is nearly 400 km away from the state capital.
Besides the local staff and veterinarians, the movements of the just released tigress are being watched by the experts form the Wildlife Institute of India (WII), he said.
"Initially, we will keep a close watch on the tigress for one week and the animal normally will take three months to settle comfortably in new surroundings," Murthy said.
He also said that the other important issue is that the animal must start making a kill on its own to survive in the jungles.
The six-year-old tigress is among the three cubs that survived after their mother died fighting a tiger. These cubswere later housed in a special enclosure in Mukki range in Kanha to prevent them from becoming preys for other animals.
Among the three, the male cub was shifted to Bhopal-based Van Vihar National Park about three years back while the remaining two were helped in developing natural instincts of killing preys in their enclosure after being trained by zoo officials.
One of them was shifted about eight months back to Panna in similar fashion and since then she has survived successfully in the jungles, the park sources said.
This was for the first time that tigresses in an orphanage have learnt to kill preys on their own following an experiment carried out by Kanha National Park officials probably for the first time in the world.
Panna Tiger Reserve which had lost its entire tiger population allegedly due to poaching has now 10 tigers in its ranges including a male, four females (including the one released today) and six cubs.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know