Trenches being dug along 16-km stretch to prevent elephants
Coimbatore: In a bid to check recurring forays by wild elephants into human habitats, digging of trenches along a 16-km stretch has been taken up at a cost of Rs 40 lakh in the district.
District Collector Archana Patnaik today reviewed the progress of the work on digging trenches on the stretch from Maruthamalai to Boluvampatti, taken up to prevent the entry of elephants from nearby forests.
She also inspected villages in and around Thondamuthur on the city outskirts where the wild elephants had been playing havoc for the past one fortnight, killing a woman, and damaing property, official sources said.
The digging works had been put on hold in Kuppepalayam village, which bore the brunt of elephant menace, as large rocks were found in between. Permission to blast them had been sought as the locality came under Reserved Forest Area, they said.
The elephants entered through this particular area, the collector was informed.
Archana, during her review, heard the grievances from the affected public and assured to take remedial steps to redress their problem as soon as possible.
The Collector`s visit comes days after people staged a protest and submitted a memoraundm seeking protection.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Kejriwal's electricity bill exceeds Rs 1 lakh in two months: RTI
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Bangladeshi newspaper mocks Indian team with half-shaved heads
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional
- Manipur ambush: Key NSCN(K) leader involved in killing of 18 Army personnel arrested by NIA