Trenches being dug along 16-km stretch to prevent elephants
Coimbatore: In a bid to check recurring forays by wild elephants into human habitats, digging of trenches along a 16-km stretch has been taken up at a cost of Rs 40 lakh in the district.
District Collector Archana Patnaik today reviewed the progress of the work on digging trenches on the stretch from Maruthamalai to Boluvampatti, taken up to prevent the entry of elephants from nearby forests.
She also inspected villages in and around Thondamuthur on the city outskirts where the wild elephants had been playing havoc for the past one fortnight, killing a woman, and damaing property, official sources said.
The digging works had been put on hold in Kuppepalayam village, which bore the brunt of elephant menace, as large rocks were found in between. Permission to blast them had been sought as the locality came under Reserved Forest Area, they said.
The elephants entered through this particular area, the collector was informed.
Archana, during her review, heard the grievances from the affected public and assured to take remedial steps to redress their problem as soon as possible.
The Collector`s visit comes days after people staged a protest and submitted a memoraundm seeking protection.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Those ready to work 20 hours daily are welcome, rest can leave - UP CM Yogi Adityanath's message to govt officials
- India vs Australia: Ravindra Jadeja clobbers Steve O'Keefe, Nathan Lyon for sixes — VIDEO