Trenches being dug along 16-km stretch to prevent elephants
Coimbatore: In a bid to check recurring forays by wild elephants into human habitats, digging of trenches along a 16-km stretch has been taken up at a cost of Rs 40 lakh in the district.
District Collector Archana Patnaik today reviewed the progress of the work on digging trenches on the stretch from Maruthamalai to Boluvampatti, taken up to prevent the entry of elephants from nearby forests.
She also inspected villages in and around Thondamuthur on the city outskirts where the wild elephants had been playing havoc for the past one fortnight, killing a woman, and damaing property, official sources said.
The digging works had been put on hold in Kuppepalayam village, which bore the brunt of elephant menace, as large rocks were found in between. Permission to blast them had been sought as the locality came under Reserved Forest Area, they said.
The elephants entered through this particular area, the collector was informed.
Archana, during her review, heard the grievances from the affected public and assured to take remedial steps to redress their problem as soon as possible.
The Collector`s visit comes days after people staged a protest and submitted a memoraundm seeking protection.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31