Two arrested for smuggling chameleons
Kendrapara (Odisha): Two persons were arrested Wednesday for smuggling exotic species of Indian chameleons at a village in Kendrapara district.
The two, Pratap Behera of Bahakuda and Abhik Sardar of Badatubi village, were arrested with the chameleons at Jaira village under Mahakalapada forest range, forest range officer Bijaya Parida said.
They were charged under sections 9, 12 and 29 of Wildlife Protection Act, 1972.
They were produced in the court of Sub-Divisional Judicial Magistrate Madhumita Mohanty who remanded to jail custody.
The chameleons are protected under the International Trade in Endangered Species Act and Indian Wildlife Protection Act, 1972.
The chameleons were released back in the wild.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Failed to secure confirmed reservation in train? Now you can travel in pantry car!
- Europe to 'free up space' by kicking out tens of thousands of Pakistanis
- Vladimir Putin rages as Turkey shoots down Russian plane