Urgent action on climate change needed: Pachauri
Thiruvananthapuram: Noted environmental scientist and Nobel prize winner R K Pachauri today said global climatic changes is creating havoc and called for international action to tackle it.
"There can be no longer be any debate on the need to act because it has been established that climate change is an unequivocal reality beyond scientific doubt," he said, delivering the keynote address at School of Bhagavad Gita `Salagram Ashram here.
Increase in temperature, rise in sea water level, changes in monsoon rainfall pattern are some of the adverse impact already experienced due to climate change, he pointed out.
Changes were also taking place in precipitation patterns with a trend towards higher precipitation levels in the world`s upper latitudes and lower precipitation in some
sub-tropical and tropical regions and in the Mediterranean sea, he said.
Pachauri, Chairman of Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, warned that one could expect more heat waves, floods and droughts. There would be change in the pattern of rainfall, he said and pointed out that the Artic region has been warming at twice the rate of the rest of the globe.
"Unless we limit the emission of greenhouse gases that restricts the future temperature increase, 20 to 30 per cent of living species will be under threat", he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened