Venice will sink three inches by 2032
Washington: Venice, the fabled city of canals, could sink by up to three inches over the next 20 years.
New measurements indicate that the historic Italian city continues to sink slowly, even as previous studies certified its stability.
"Venice appears to be continuing to subside, at a rate of about 2 mm a year," said Yehuda Bock, geodesist with Scripps Oceanography Institute, University of California, San Diego, who led the study, reports the journal Geochemistry, Geophysics, Geosystems.
Given that the sea level is rising in the Venetian lagoon, also at 2mm per year, the slight subsidence doubles the rate at which the height of surrounding waters are increasing relative to the elevation of the city, he noted.
As geodesist, Bock deals with the measurement and representation of the Earth, including its gravitational field, according to a Scripps statement.
Bock worked with colleagues from the University of Miami in Florida and Italy`s Tele-Rilevamento Europa, a company that measures ground deformation, to analyse data collected by GPS and space-borne radar (InSAR) instruments regarding Venice and its lagoon.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India