World leaders to gather for Delhi sustainable summit
New Delhi: Leaders from various regions of the world will gather here for the Delhi Sustainable Development Summit (DSDS) beginning Friday, the first major global meeting after the Copenhagen climate summit in December 2009.
The theme of the three-day meet, being organised by The Energy Research Institute (TERI), is `Beyond Copenhagen: new pathways to sustainable development`. It will be inaugurated by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and also marks the tenth anniversary of this flagship event.
"This annual summit that has been happening since 2001 provides knowledge as well as stimulates debate on various aspects of sustainable development. It has emerged as the only forum on global sustainability issues, with an accentuated thrust on problems relating to the developing world," said a TERI organiser.
Among those expected to participate this summit are Jens Stoltenberg, Prime Minister of Norway, Jigmi Yoser Thinley, Prime Minister of Bhutan, Matti Vanhanen, Prime Minister of Finland, George Papandreou, Prime Minister of Greece as well as Jean Charest, premier of Quebec, and Danilo T, resident of Slovenia.
DSDS 2010 will focus on the formulation and delineation of strategies to move the sustainable development agenda forward.
Some of the major themes that will be debated include accelerating socio-economic development as a key to adaptation, role of technology, building institutions for effective climate governance, and financing opportunities post Copenhagen.
A unique feature of this year`s summit would be the closed-door in-camera session to come up with clear plans and roadmap for the next Conference of the Parties to be held in Mexico City at the end of this year.
"Since DSDS 2010 is attracting a number of distinguished heads of state and heads of government as well as several ministers and other functionaries, this is an ideal platform to hold a session for these distinguished participants to arrive at a clear plan of action towards Mexico City," said a statement from TERI.
"At the end of the session, a white paper will be presented to all the participants of DSDS 2010."
The DSDS series has enjoyed global support from over 60 countries, attracting participation from heads of government and ministers, and a host of other dignitaries comprising Nobel laureates, development practitioners, scientists, academics, and corporate leaders.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly