IIT-Kharagpur alumni demands immediate appointment of director
A section of IIT-Kharagpur alumni supporting Partha Pratim Chakraborty as the institute`s director today demanded his immediate appointment saying the vacancy has "stalled activities in the campus".
New Delhi: A section of IIT-Kharagpur alumni supporting the selection of Partha Pratim Chakraborty as the institute`s director today demanded his immediate appointment saying the vacancy has "stalled activities in the campus".
Expressing dismay over the delay, alumnus Arjun Malhotra reminded that IIT`s board of governors has already cleared Chakraborty`s name of any wrongdoing after carefully examining a case where his name was involved.
His appointment is now pending Central Vigilance Commission`s clearance.
Chakraborty courted controversy ever since his name cropped in the coal-net scam over allegations of wrongdoing, involving computerisation of Coal India.
"The inordinate delay in clearing his name and approving his appointment as the next director is causing grave harm to him and to IIT Kharagpur, which is an institute of national importance," Malhotra told reporters here.
He threatened to take up the matter to the visitor of the campus -- the President -- if his appointment is not done by July 27 when the convocation is due to take place.
HRD Minister M M Pallam Raju had, however, assured that normalcy would return soon in the campus which has already seen a one-day token strike by over 400 faculty members and a large number of alumni.
Raju said his ministry was waiting for a report from the CVC about the director who has been selected for the post and that "CVC would expedite the decision".
Ministry officials hoped that before Raju`s visit to the campus on July 27 to attend the convocation function, the director would be in place.
Malhotra dismissed suggestion that they were lobbying for Chakraborty saying "he has been found as the best person for the job and has an impressive resume".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery