Presidency University to offer interdisciplinary courses
Come July, science students can get a taste of liberal arts and those delving into humanities can take up a science subject at Presidency University.
Kolkata: Come July, science students can get a taste of liberal arts and those delving into humanities can take up a science subject at Presidency University here, a varsity professor said on Friday.
"This is the first such initiative in the country. In the traditional Indian university education system, honours students are required to take up two pass subjects... We have replaced the pass subjects," professor Somak Raychaudhury, head of Presidency University`s physics department, said.
Raychaudhury said the decision to juxtapose the two branches was taken as students do not take pass subjects seriously.
"So, instead of forcing pass subjects on students, we decided to break them up and have a list of 10 papers. All the honours students are required to take up 10 papers. While the science students are needed to take at least two arts papers, it is vice versa for students of humanities," the professor added.
For example, the physics department is introducing a course, `Physics of Everyday Life`, under which students, irrespective of the stream they are majoring in, will be taught how things like camera work.
"The course is open to everybody. An English literature student can take it up. Similarly, sociology department is offering a subject called `Love` that students from other department can study," the professor said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!