Presidency University to offer interdisciplinary courses
Come July, science students can get a taste of liberal arts and those delving into humanities can take up a science subject at Presidency University.
Kolkata: Come July, science students can get a taste of liberal arts and those delving into humanities can take up a science subject at Presidency University here, a varsity professor said on Friday.
"This is the first such initiative in the country. In the traditional Indian university education system, honours students are required to take up two pass subjects... We have replaced the pass subjects," professor Somak Raychaudhury, head of Presidency University`s physics department, said.
Raychaudhury said the decision to juxtapose the two branches was taken as students do not take pass subjects seriously.
"So, instead of forcing pass subjects on students, we decided to break them up and have a list of 10 papers. All the honours students are required to take up 10 papers. While the science students are needed to take at least two arts papers, it is vice versa for students of humanities," the professor added.
For example, the physics department is introducing a course, `Physics of Everyday Life`, under which students, irrespective of the stream they are majoring in, will be taught how things like camera work.
"The course is open to everybody. An English literature student can take it up. Similarly, sociology department is offering a subject called `Love` that students from other department can study," the professor said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video