A Raja loses electoral battle
Nilgiris (TN): DMK leader A Raja, prime accused in the 2G scam, today failed in his bid to secure a second successive term from this reserved constituency, with the ruling AIADMK romping home with a thumping margin.
The former telecom minister, who had expressed confidence of retaining the seat claiming that 2G scam was a non-issue with his electorate, was defeated by C Gopalakrishnan by a huge margin of 1,04,090 votes.
Incidentally, it was not a candidate but the option called None of the Above (NOTA) which turned out to be the third most preferred choice of the electorate at the end of the counting of votes as 46,559 had exercised this option.
BJP was not represented in the seat after the nomination of its candidate S Gurumurthy was rejected during scrutiny on grounds of delayed filing of mandatory Form 2B, culminating in his suspension from the party.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- Baba Ramdev's Patanjali enters big retail with Future Group tie-up
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Bihar Assembly Elections: Opinion poll predicts absolute majority for Modi-led NDA
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest
- Mother Teresa’s Missionaries of Charity orphanages to be derecognised?