A Raja loses electoral battle
Nilgiris (TN): DMK leader A Raja, prime accused in the 2G scam, today failed in his bid to secure a second successive term from this reserved constituency, with the ruling AIADMK romping home with a thumping margin.
The former telecom minister, who had expressed confidence of retaining the seat claiming that 2G scam was a non-issue with his electorate, was defeated by C Gopalakrishnan by a huge margin of 1,04,090 votes.
Incidentally, it was not a candidate but the option called None of the Above (NOTA) which turned out to be the third most preferred choice of the electorate at the end of the counting of votes as 46,559 had exercised this option.
BJP was not represented in the seat after the nomination of its candidate S Gurumurthy was rejected during scrutiny on grounds of delayed filing of mandatory Form 2B, culminating in his suspension from the party.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Will India's SAARC summit boycott change Pak's attitude towards terrorism?
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- WATCH: At 430/9, India needed 24 runs to avoid follow on. What Kapil Dev did next will blow your mind!