AAP opposes Ramdev`s camp in Varanasi
Varanasi: Aam Aadmi Party has opposed yoga guru Baba Ramdev`s camp in Varanasi and asked the Election Commission not to allow such activity in the temple town till the election gets over as it would lead to a law and order problem.
The party has also alleged that any such activity would mean promoting the BJP as the yoga guru is "campaigning" for the saffron party.
"The Aam Aadmi Party demands that no such camp (of Ramdev) be allowed in Varanasi till the date of polling to avoid escalation of tension. He has recently used highly condemnable language against dalits and women, following which the Election Commission denied permission for his yoga camps in Amethi and some parts of Himachal Pradesh.
"Any attempt by him to participate in a public function in this constituency is likely to create a law and order problem, since people are angry due to his irresponsible utterances which have created hatred in the society," AAP said in a letter to the Returning Officer of Varanasi constituency.
Ramdev will be in the temple town on the evening of May 4.
"It is an admitted fact that Baba Ramdev is campaigning for the BJP, and therefore, AAP requests the Commission to take all possible steps to ensure free and fair elections.
"Recently, the commission itself had reiterated its October 2013 order in which it has been made clear that no political message should be allowed on the pretext of holding a yoga camp," the letter said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jawaharlal Nehru's Wikipedia page edited from govt IP address; Congress seeks PM Modi's reply
- No liberal approach, mediation or compromise in rape cases: Supreme Court
- Lalitgate: Centre denies deal with Congress over Sushma Swaraj, Vasundhara Raje
- Lalitgate: BJP helping fugitives, law breakers; PM Modi doing 'Maun Yoga', alleges Congress
- Parliamentary panel recommends 100% salary hike for MPs, health benefits for grandchildren