AAP questions Narendra Modi`s intent in invoking name of Captain Batra
New Delhi: The Aam Aadmi Party on Tuesday questioned the intentions of Narendra Modi in invoking the name of late Captain Vikram Batra at a rally and asked why he did not meet the martyr`s parents while he was the Himachal Pradesh in-charge of the BJP.
"Narendra Modi should respond to the question raised by the mother of Kargil war hero, the late Captain Vikram Batra, on why Modi is remembering him after 15 years,” AAP said.
"Since Modi invoked late captain Batra`s name purely with an intention to increase his electoral prospects, he should now respond to the family`s concern on why he never found time to visit the family.”
"Modi`s reference to the late Captain Batra in an election speech in Himachal Pradesh on Tuesday, has disturbed his family," AAP said in a statement today.
The martyr`s mother, Kamal Kant Batra is the AAP candidate from the Hamirpur parliamentary constituency of Himachal Pradesh.
Today she had asked why Modi had not visited the family when he was in-charge of the state affairs of the party.
"AAP candidate Kamal Kant Batra has rightly pointed out that Modi was the BJP in-charge of Himachal Pradesh when the Kargil war took place in 1999 and despite having visited Palampur, the martyr`s hometown, Modi did not get time to visit his home.
"The BJP leader should not try to invoke the names of those who laid down their lives for the country in such a casual manner, particularly when he and his party did nothing to respect the martyrdom," the party said.
It also attacked BJP for its comments without "knowing" the facts of the Batra`s family.
"AAP also condemns the statement of BJP spokesperson Meenakshi Lekhi, who has commented on the late Captain Batra`s family without knowing the facts about the entire issue.
"It is shocking that a spokesperson of a national party chose to comment on political lines, without showing any respect for the family which lost a young son for the nation`s cause," the statement added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Grief stricken people shout slogans as Kalam's body carried out of hospital
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed