AIADMK records first ever victory in Madurai LS seat
win in Madurai constituency when its candidate R Gopalakrishnan won by a margin 1.99 lakh votes in a multi-cornered contest.
AIADMK which emerged victorious in all assembly constituencies in Madurai in 2011 has now won the Lok Sabha seat also convincingly. The party won 37 of the 39 seats in the state in the April 24 elections.
Since 1952, the constituency had returned candidates of national parties like Congress or the Communists, with an exception in 2009 when DMK nominee M K Alagiri defeated CPIM`s P Mohan.
Incidentally, AIADMK had contested the seat in 2004 and lost to Mohan.
The Jayalalithaa-led party was particular about winning this constituency which was under the grips of DMK strongman Alagiri, now expelled, AIADMK sources said.
DMK candidate V.K.Velusamy, however, gave a strange reason for his defeat saying people were wondering what role his party would play at the centre without an alliance in the post-poll situation.
CPI-M nominee B.Vikraman said AIADMK wave had swept the state and they did not get their share of votes due to it.
DMDK`s Siva Muthukumar, who finished fourth, welcomed Modi`s victory.
He said there was not much awakening among people as to whom they have to choose and whether the election was for the centre or state. Besides he alleged distribution of money among the voters.
Congress nominee Bharat Natchiappan said even the party`s traditional supporters did not voter for him. People had fallen into the "trap" laid by Narendra Modi.
AIADMK also won the Sivaganga Lok Sabha constituency also after a gap of 37 years after its victory in 1977.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- How will Sonowal's govt solve problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam?
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam - Part II
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam? - Part III
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam? - Part IV
- Batla House encounter: Congress under scrutiny as new IS video emerges
- Sarbananda Sonowal takes charge as Assam’s first BJP CM, PM Modi attends his swearing-in
- Desperate times, desperate measures! Parineeti Chopra's make-up ain’t gonna stop – See pic
- IPL 9 VIDEO: When Shikhar Dhawan, Yuvraj Singh became Gabbar and taxi driver
- First Talgo train trial on Bareilly-Moradabad rail route on May 29
- Rahul Gandhi to lead rally against AAP, BJP over Delhi power crisis