Arvind Kejriwal offers prayers at the grave of Bismillah Khan in Varanasi
Varanasi: Aam Aadmi Party chief Arvind Kejriwal on Monday prayed and offered flowers at the grave of shehnai maestro Ustad Bismillah Khan at Dargah -E-Fatmaan in Sigra here.
Bharat Ratna Ustad Bismillah Khan`s son Ustad Zamin Hussain Bismillah, along with Bismillah Khan`s grandson, Afaque Haider, was also present at the Dargha with Kejriwal.
Kejriwal told reporters later that "the land of Varanasi gave birth to a large number of legends who won Padma Bhushan, Padma Vibhushan and Bharat Ratna besides other awards.
"These legends are like Ustad Bismillah Khan, Munshi Prem Chand, Kishan Maharaj and Shanta Kumar. Our country is known worldwide because of these legends. We will make all efforts that these legends along with their family members get full respect, honour and full financial support. Also, their memorials must be built like the tomb of Ustad Bismillah Khan," said Kejriwal.
He advocated Varanasi should be made the "World Heritage city".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- Madrasas that do not teach primary subjects to be considered 'non-schools', says Maharashtra govt
- Parliamentary panel recommends 100% salary hike for MPs, health benefits for grandchildren
- Congress 'weak' to stop Modi; Rahul 'out of touch' with reality: Hansraj Bhardwaj