Arvind Kejriwal undertakes road show in Chandni Chowk
New Delhi: Aam Aadmi Party leader Arvind Kejriwal on Tuesday undertook a road show in the Chandni Chowk constituency, aiming to revive the shrinking base among the middle class and consolidate his party`s position in Delhi.
During the road show, Kejriwal lauded achivements of his 49-day government and sought to justify the reasons for quitting the Chief Minister`s post.
The road show evoked mixed response. In places like Chandni Chowk it was over-whelming, in some places like Pitampura, the support was lukewarm.
The road show was undertaken in different assembly segments of Chandni Chowk constituency from where the party has fielded journalist-turned-politician Ashutosh.
This is the second such effort by the AAP leader since last two days to reach out to people in Delhi. Yesterday, he addressed a rally for party candidate from West Delhi Jarnail Singh.
Ever since his resignation as the Delhi Chief Minister, party sources said that the middle class who supported the party were slowly moving away from AAP. However, its support among the lower middle class was still intact and strong. There were also criticism that Kejriwal was looking at other states at the cost of Delhi.
"No government since last 65 years did the work as we did. During my 49-day government didn`t I reduce the electricity and water bills?" he asked the crowd, mostly his supporters as his open-deck gypsy car halted at different locations during the road show.
"From today (April 1) you again have to pay double the electricity and water tariff because our government had only made provision till March 31.
"The BJP and the Congress cancelled the subsidy benefitting the electricity companies. Both these parties are hand-in-gloves and have taken money from them (discoms)," he told the crowd as they cheered in response.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi