BJP asks EC to stop Sonia from airing message on DD, AIR
New Delhi: BJP on Friday petitioned the Election Commission to stop Congress President Sonia Gandhi from airing her message on Doordarshan and AIR and said it is violative of the Model Code as it polarises the election scene among religious communities.
In a letter to Chief Election Commissioner VS Sampath, BJP alleged that Congress party is planning to use one of its earlier advertisements already aired through private TV channels on Doordarshan and AIR using one of the free slots allotted to it.
"The standard rule is that the slots can be used only for short speeches or messages by the party functionaries to whom the slots are given and also that the content should be recorded in the Doordarshan/AIR studios in a prescribed backdrop. All these norms are violated in the instant case," a BJP communication said.
The letter from BJP MP R Ramakrishna says, "It should also be remembered that the message by Sonia Gandhi is violative of the model code of conduct since it polarises the election scene among religious communities.
"By innuendo, she has divided India into Bharat and Hindustan; all of us know to which languages and more so, to which religious communities these descriptions of India are attributable," the BJP said, asking the Election Commission to disallow this request of the Congress Party.
In the appeal telecast on various TV channels, Gandhi had said that the current Lok Sabha elections was a fight to protect "the very heart and soul of India" from those who want to divide the people of this country.
Without naming either Narendra Modi or BJP in her telecast, Gandhi said, "We want unity. They want to impose uniformity. They say, `Just believe in ME`".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Are separatists scared with 'Dangal' girl Zaira Wasim's success?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble