BJP asks state government to maintain law and order in West Bengal
Kolkata: The BJP in West Bengal on Monday claimed that more than 200 of its workers had been injured in post-poll violence and asked the state government to maintain law and order, or else it would seek Governor`s intervention.
The Trinamool Congress has denied the charge and accused the BJP of fomenting violence.
"This kind of terror and attack unleashed on BJP workers by goons of Trinamool Congress across the state is unacceptable and will not be tolerated," BJP spokesperson and in-charge of Bengal Siddharth Nath Singh told PTI.
"The government should take steps to book the culprits. Law and order is a state subject. If the state can`t maintain law and order, the Centre will intervene through the Governor. Total goondaism is going on. This has to stop and can`t be tolerated," Singh said.
West Bengal BJP general secretary Samik Bhattacharya said that more than 200 BJP workers had been injured in attacks wherever the party performed well in the Lok Sabha poll, either in an Assembly segment or a municipal area.
"BJP workers are being singled out for attacks. This is mockery of democracy.
Tomorrow we will submit deputation to the North 24 Paraganas Police superintendent," he said.
Reacting to the allegation, TMC MP Idris Ali said, "We don`t believe in violence.
Rather, the BJP is trying to instigate violence in the state. Our leader Mamata Banerjee has even asked not to conduct any victory rally."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video