Centre deliberately suppressing Census figures: Vardhan
New Delhi: BJP Friday accused the Congress-led UPA Government of deliberately not releasing Census figures as it was afraid that poor economic condition of the Muslim community under its rule would be exposed.
Delhi BJP president Harsh Vardhan said that the Census process was completed in 2011 and it took two years for the central government to formally release the provisional figures.
"Congress is ashamed to admit its failure to take the Muslims of India out of deep poverty, so it has taken the anti-national step of suppressing Census figures. Therefore, planners have no religion-based statistics and this is affecting academic and planning for formulating better steps to improve the conditions of Indian Muslims," Vardhan, who is BJP candidate from Chandni Chowk, alleged in a press statement.
The BJP leader said that all economists know from 2011 Census is that the population of India (provisional) as of 2011 is the Provisional Census data says the total Indian population is 121,01,93,422 with 58,64,69,174 females and 62,37,24,248 males.
He also added that National Sample Survey Organisation (NSSO) under the Ministry of Statistics points out that the average Indian villager (all religions) consumed Rs 901 worth of food and goods per month and his urban counterpart Rs 1,773.
"The overall average monthly per capita expenditure was found to be Rs 1,128. But for Muslims this figure was way below the national average Rs 833 in villages and a shocking Rs 1,272 in the cities," Vardhan also said.
BJP leader also said that Amitabha Kundu Committee report has shown that Gujarati Muslims are far better off than their counterparts in even the so-called `secular` states.
"Muslim voters should know your true oppressor. Narendra Modi gives food, shelter and jobs to Muslim. The Congress and its friends force the Muslims to live in deep poverty and claim to be their friend," BJP leader said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation Part II
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!