General Elections 2014: J&K to battle it out for lone LS seat
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: Over 12 lakh voters will be voting for the lone Anantnag Lok Sabha constituency in Jammu and Kashmir on Thursday.
The polling will take place for 12 candidates including NC`s Mehboob Beg and opposition PDP president Mehbooba Mufti.
Of the 16 Assembly segments in Anantnag seat, the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) MLAs represent 12, the Congress two and the National Conference (NC) and the CPI-M one each.
Security agencies have classified 83 per cent of the 1615 polling stations in the constituency as sensitive or hypersensitive.
One of the dominant issues during elections will be the the attacks by militants on sarpanch members. Seven panchayat members have reportedly been killed by militants in the last two years.
The polling will be held days after four political workers were killed by militants to deter people from voting.
(With PTI Inputs)
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Revealed: How Pakistan's ISI spy racket operated in India