Like 1977, RSS spreading canards about Congress, says Azad
Lucknow: Senior Congress leader Ghulam Nabi Azad Thursday attacked RSS for spreading "propaganda" that UPA government was a failure and alleged that the outfit in a similar drive in 1977 "misled" Muslims over "forced vasectomy" which led to the party`s defeat.
"The manner in which RSS spread propaganda of forced vasectomy before Lok Sabha polls in 1977, similarly this time a propaganda is being spread by terming UPA government as a failure," Azad told reporters here.
The Union minister was replying to a question whether there was a 1977 like "wave of change" when Congress lost all Lok Sabha seats in Uttar Pradesh.
"In 1977 an organisation (RSS) spread propaganda of forced vasectomy of Muslims in large number, as a result they were misled and voted against Congress," Azad said.
He claimed that despite the worldwide recession the quantum of work done during the last 10 years by the UPA government was never done before.
"Tremendous development has taken place in every field. But what to do when the electronic media does not show any news other than controversial incidents... Now from where such a media can be brought which also show news related to development," the minister said.
In support of his claim, Azad gave a detailed account of various schemes being run by his ministry in the country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre