Loksatta Party targets Rahul Gandhi over loan waiver offer
Hyderabad: The Loksatta Party on Saturday criticised Congress vice-president Rahul Gandhi over his promise to waive farmers` bank loans of up to Rs two lakh.
Terming Rahul`s offer as "irresponsible", the national president of the Loksatta Party, Jayaprakash Narayan sought to know whether it would be applicable to the farmers in Seemandhra as well as Telangana.
"Rahul Gandhi`s promise to waive farmers` bank loans of up to Rs two lakh is irresponsible. Who would foot the bills ? the Centre or the states? Has any homework been done on its implications? Had the Reserve Bank of India been consulted?" Narayan asked while talking to reporters.
"Who has given the authority to the Congress to announce a decision that disrupts the economy.
What would happen if the RBI imposes a freeze on grant of bank loans to people in the state, taking exception to the government`s credit indiscipline," he asked.
Narayan said he had earlier voiced concerns over regional parties making "wild promises unmindful of their deleterious consequences".
"Now even a national party like the Congress has placed its interests above those of the country.
Farmers should definitely be extended all the assistance in the form of improved seeds and modern technology. They should be ensured remunerative prices for their produce," he said.
While addressing a rally at Madikonda in Andhra Pradesh yesterday, Rahul had said, "Even if the heavens fall, we will implement our promise and waive farm loans up to Rs 2 lakh in Telangana."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!