Loksatta Party targets Rahul Gandhi over loan waiver offer
Hyderabad: The Loksatta Party on Saturday criticised Congress vice-president Rahul Gandhi over his promise to waive farmers` bank loans of up to Rs two lakh.
Terming Rahul`s offer as "irresponsible", the national president of the Loksatta Party, Jayaprakash Narayan sought to know whether it would be applicable to the farmers in Seemandhra as well as Telangana.
"Rahul Gandhi`s promise to waive farmers` bank loans of up to Rs two lakh is irresponsible. Who would foot the bills ? the Centre or the states? Has any homework been done on its implications? Had the Reserve Bank of India been consulted?" Narayan asked while talking to reporters.
"Who has given the authority to the Congress to announce a decision that disrupts the economy.
What would happen if the RBI imposes a freeze on grant of bank loans to people in the state, taking exception to the government`s credit indiscipline," he asked.
Narayan said he had earlier voiced concerns over regional parties making "wild promises unmindful of their deleterious consequences".
"Now even a national party like the Congress has placed its interests above those of the country.
Farmers should definitely be extended all the assistance in the form of improved seeds and modern technology. They should be ensured remunerative prices for their produce," he said.
While addressing a rally at Madikonda in Andhra Pradesh yesterday, Rahul had said, "Even if the heavens fall, we will implement our promise and waive farm loans up to Rs 2 lakh in Telangana."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- India's Balochistan push works, European Parliament warns Pakistan of sanctions over atrocities on Balochi people
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray