Mizoram opposition parties for VVPAT in all constituencies
Aizawl: Opposition parties in Mizoram have appealed to the Election Commission that Voter Verifiable Paper Audit Trail (VVPAT) be used in all polling stations in the state in the Lok Sabha poll and the by-poll to Hrangturzo Assembly.
Mizo National Front (MNF), Mizoram Peoples Conference (MPC), Zoram Nationalist Party (ZNP) and BJP state unit sent a joint letter to the EC on Tuesday.
The opposition parties said 1,500 VVPATs have been brought to Mizoram which has 1,126 polling stations and so the number of VVPATs available were sufficient to be used in all the polling stations, the letter which was made available to the press today said.
Though the EC is yet to make any formal announcement on the use of VVPAT system in Mizoram, preparations are being made for its use mainly in the urban areas.
Bharat Electronics Limited (BEL), which manufactured the EVMs and VVPATs to be used in the coming polls in the state, have deployed 26 engineers till date, state election department officials said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row- Part II
- PM Modi breaks protocol to receive Abu Dhabi Crown Prince Al Nahyan
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Paid sex: Good or bad? This girl was too eager to find out - Watch what happened!
- Saraswati Puja on Vasant Panchami - Tithi, Muhurt and Vidhi