Murli Manohar Joshi trounces Jaiswal in Kanpur
Kanpur: BJP veteran Murli Manohar Joshi today won Kanpur Parliamentary constituency, defeating Union coal minister Sriprakash Jaiswal by 2,22,946 votes.
Buoyed by the historic win of BJP, Joshi said the country wanted change and the electorate found that `change` in Narendra Modi.
"The country today witnessed the historic win of BJP as people were unhappy over misgovernance of Congress-led UPA government for the last ten years," Joshi told reporters here.
"The people deserve to be congratulated for this historic win," Joshi said.
He vowed to bring the pride of Kanpur city back by supporting industries and promised to implement plans to make the river Ganga pollution-free.
Joshi had won the 2009 Lok Sabha election from Varanasi, but he vacated the seat for party`s prime ministerial candidate Narendra Modi in 2014.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- New SC bench to hear 1993 Mumbai bomb blasts convict Yakub Memon's plea on Wednesday