Murli Manohar Joshi trounces Jaiswal in Kanpur
Kanpur: BJP veteran Murli Manohar Joshi today won Kanpur Parliamentary constituency, defeating Union coal minister Sriprakash Jaiswal by 2,22,946 votes.
Buoyed by the historic win of BJP, Joshi said the country wanted change and the electorate found that `change` in Narendra Modi.
"The country today witnessed the historic win of BJP as people were unhappy over misgovernance of Congress-led UPA government for the last ten years," Joshi told reporters here.
"The people deserve to be congratulated for this historic win," Joshi said.
He vowed to bring the pride of Kanpur city back by supporting industries and promised to implement plans to make the river Ganga pollution-free.
Joshi had won the 2009 Lok Sabha election from Varanasi, but he vacated the seat for party`s prime ministerial candidate Narendra Modi in 2014.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Exclusive chat with Ranchi's visually challenged singer Tumpa Kumari
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K, one BSF jawan killed in Kupwara
- Mass failure in DU exam: HRD Minister Smriti Irani asks officials to enquire
- Suspicious Iranian boat seized off Kerala coast, Pakistani ID card recovered