Murli Manohar Joshi trounces Jaiswal in Kanpur
Kanpur: BJP veteran Murli Manohar Joshi today won Kanpur Parliamentary constituency, defeating Union coal minister Sriprakash Jaiswal by 2,22,946 votes.
Buoyed by the historic win of BJP, Joshi said the country wanted change and the electorate found that `change` in Narendra Modi.
"The country today witnessed the historic win of BJP as people were unhappy over misgovernance of Congress-led UPA government for the last ten years," Joshi told reporters here.
"The people deserve to be congratulated for this historic win," Joshi said.
He vowed to bring the pride of Kanpur city back by supporting industries and promised to implement plans to make the river Ganga pollution-free.
Joshi had won the 2009 Lok Sabha election from Varanasi, but he vacated the seat for party`s prime ministerial candidate Narendra Modi in 2014.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society- Part II
- DNA: Analysis of loss caused by floods in India
- DNA: Arunachal Pradesh gets gift of 2000km strategic road
- DNA: Arunachal Pradesh gets gift of 2000 km strategic road - Part II
- Xiaomi likely to unveil Redmi Note 4 on August 25
- Natural to express grief over mistreatment of Dalits: LK Advani
- Hundreds of NASA's studies now available online for free!
- Status of political parties to be reviewed every 10 years
- WOAH! BJP MP Paresh Rawal launches fierce attack on India's Rio Olympics officials