Murli Manohar Joshi trounces Jaiswal in Kanpur
Kanpur: BJP veteran Murli Manohar Joshi today won Kanpur Parliamentary constituency, defeating Union coal minister Sriprakash Jaiswal by 2,22,946 votes.
Buoyed by the historic win of BJP, Joshi said the country wanted change and the electorate found that `change` in Narendra Modi.
"The country today witnessed the historic win of BJP as people were unhappy over misgovernance of Congress-led UPA government for the last ten years," Joshi told reporters here.
"The people deserve to be congratulated for this historic win," Joshi said.
He vowed to bring the pride of Kanpur city back by supporting industries and promised to implement plans to make the river Ganga pollution-free.
Joshi had won the 2009 Lok Sabha election from Varanasi, but he vacated the seat for party`s prime ministerial candidate Narendra Modi in 2014.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Meet Lynlee Hope - Texas baby who was 'born' twice!
- Intelligence agencies warn of firing by Pakistan along LoC, international border
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon