Narayanasamy defeated in Puducherry as AINRC wrests seat
Puducherry: Continuing with its spectacular electoral debut of the 2011 Assembly polls, ruling AINRC in Puducherry on Friday wrested the lone Lok Sabha seat from Congress with its nominee R Radhakrishnan trouncing Minister of State in PMO V Narayanasamy.
Radhakrishnan, former Assembly speaker, won by a margin of 60,854 votes, polling 2,55,826 votes against Narayanasamy`s 1,94,972 votes, pushing the AIADMK and DMK to the third and fourth places.
Although initially the trend showed that Narayanasamy was ahead of Radhakrishnan by about 9,000 votes, there was a sudden reverse with the AINRC candidate forging ahead.
AINRC, floated by Rangasamy ahead of 2011 elections after breaking away from Congress, contested the multi-cornered Lok Sabha poll in alliance with BJP.
PMK which too contested the polls despite being a partner of NDA in Tamil Nadu finished a poor fifth.
A bitter critic of Chief Minister N Rangasamy, Narayanasamy used to attack the government on various occasions and at fora.
But Rangasamy has emerged the victor in the end, marking the first ever victory of a regional party in Parliamentary poll within a few years of its formation.
Puducherry was normally considered a Congress bastion although the party had lost the Parliamentarly elections held in 1974, 1977 and in 1998.
Radhakrishnan attributed his victory largely due to the welfare schemes of the AINRC government under Rangasamy`s leadership.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism?
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- SSC CGL 2016 exam dates out; read the eligibility criteria, registration details
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears
- Watch video: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli