ND Tiwari not to contest from Nainital
Lucknow: Senior Congress leader Narayan Dutt Tiwari will not contest from Uttarakhand`s Nainital Lok Sabha constituency seat, his close aides said on Wednesday.
Sources said the former chief minister of Uttarakhand and Uttar Pradesh wanted to contest one last time and had also pleaded with the party leadership to field his son Rohit Shekhar but his pleas were not yielded to.
He told his close associates and supporters in Lucknow late Tuesday that he has left it to the voters of Nainital to elect their representatives and ruled himself out of the race.
"People of Uttarakhand will decide whether or not I have been cheated and let down by a party I served all my life," he said.
The 88-year-old leader who has served in many capacities in public life, including union minister, chief minister and governor, also said that it was only Samajwadi Party chief Mulayam Singh Yadav who has shown respect for him.
He also accused the state Congress leaders in Uttarakhand of misinforming the party leadership of the ground realities in Uttarakhand.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video