NDA wave will soon turn into `saffron storm`: Uddhav Thackeray
Mumbai: Shiv Sena president Uddhav Thackeray on Sunday said Congress is in a bad shape due to lack of formidable leadership and claimed that "saffron resurgence" is on the cards with Narendra Modi being a credible alternative.
"The wave in favour of BJP-led NDA across the country will be soon be converted into a saffron storm," Uddhav said in an interview in today`s edition of Shiv Sena mouthpiece `Saamana`.
"Except for Atal Bihari Vajpyee, Opposition had no face. While there were Nehru, Indira Gandhi, Rajiv Gandhi ..Congress is unable to bring Rahul Gandhi before the people and same is the case with Priyanka Vadra," he said.
"For the first time Congress is in a bad shape as they don`t have a face, while the Opposition parties have consolidated and united themselves behind (BJP`s prime ministerial nominee) Modi," he said.
To a question on whether `India Shining` will be repeated (defeat after much hype) this time, Uddhav said, "Forget that, because of Modi, there will be `India shining` in real terms. Opposition parties had succeeded in rubbishing the India shining campaign run by the NDA that time."
Admitting that the Lok Sabha election is the first major challenge for his party after the death of his father Bal Thackeray, Uddhav said he always feels the presence of Sena supremo around him.
To another question about several leaders quitting the party, the Sena leader said the cadres have not left.
"Few have left because they were denied tickets," he claimed.
Referring to the conviction of party leader Babanrao Gholap in disproportionate assets case, he expressed surprise that the verdict came after 14 years and that too at the time of the elections.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened