Rabri Devi files nomination papers from Chhapra
Chhapra: Former Bihar Chief Minister and RJD leader Rabri Devi today filed nomination papers from Saran Lok Sabha constituency in the state.
Clad in a green salwar suit, Rabri Devi was accompanied by her husband and RJD chief Lalu Prasad in a helicopter from Patna.
Both the leaders took out a road show from the helipad to Chhapra town before reaching the district collectorate to file her documents to the Returning Officer Praveen Kumar.
Later she told reporters "the main contest in Saran is between RJD and BJP- RSS. It`s a fight between secularism and communal forces. We`ll win and the margin of victory will be huge."
Criticising BJP Prime Ministerial Candidate Narendra Modi, she said, "what can we expect from a person who did not respect his wife and kept her disowned for 40 years? Our nation and its women will not be secure if he comes to power."
Saran will go to polls on May 7. Incidentally, the notification for this phase was issued today itself and Rabri Devi became the first person to file her candidature from this seat.
With 14.9 lakh electors, the contest for Saran is being touted as a battle of prestige for Prasad. He won the seat in 2009 defeating BJP General Secretary Rajiv Pratap Rudy by around 52,000 votes.
As Prasad cannot contest election for his conviction for five years in a Fodder Scam case, he has handed over the seat to wife Rabri.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- News reporter Hemant Yadav shot by unidentified bikers
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?