Sonia Gandhi cancelled Goa rally as she is sure of win: Congress leader
Panaji: Congress president Sonia Gandhi cancelled her public meeting scheduled on Tuesday in Goa after she realised that the party is sure to win both the Lok Sabha seats in the state, a senior party leader claimed here today.
Gandhi was supposed to address a public meeting in North Goa today, which was cancelled around two days back without giving any specific reasons.
"Gandhi must have seen the reports that the party is winning both the Lok Sabha seats and hence cancelled the public meeting," Congress North Goa candidate Ravi Naik told reporters today.
Naik is a former state home minister and Congress had earlier quoted a CID report, which apparently predicts victory in both North and South Goa constituencies.
Congress Goa Chief John Fernandes also echoed the reasons given by Naik claiming, "He (Naik) has an access to CID report because he was formerly the state Home Minister."
"Probably he may be right. Being a former home minister he has better access to the intelligence reports," Fernandes said.
He said party vice-president Rahul Gandhi was supposed to address a public meeting on March 29, but the local units asked to defer the meeting as the party was in the midst of nominations and scrutiny process.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi pitches for 'Selfie with daughter' initiative
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Need another agricultural revolution: PM Modi
- Monsoon's after-effects troubling everyday lives in cities
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- MEA declines information on Lalit Modi's passport issue, draws flak
- Varun-Shraddha's `ABCD2` holds a firm grip at Box Office!
- School director beaten to death after two students found dead in Bihar