UPA will ensure security of women, says Antony
Kalpetta: Congress-led UPA government would ensure security of women, especially those from tribal community, if the alliance won in the Lok Sabha elections, Defence minister AK Antony said on Monday.
Speaking at a meet-the-leader programme at Wayanad Press Club here, he said instances of atrocities against women had increased considerably in the country.
"Indian women were not secure in their working places too," he said adding that such a situation should be changed.
The election manifesto of Congress has offered to launch various measures to ensure the protection of women, he said.
As part of increasing the security measures, 25 per cent of job vacancies in police force would be reserved for women and fast track courts would be established to speed up court proceedings related to atrocities against women, he said.
Maintaining that the election atmosphere in the state was positive for the ruling United Democratic Front (UDF), he said, "Many of the seats won by the CPI(M)-led Left Democratic Front (LDF) in the 2009 election would be captured by the Congress-led UDF".
He said the recent Kerala High Court remarks against the Chief minister will not affect the prospects of the UDF in the Parliament election.
The farmers in the hilly areas of Wayanad and Idukki districts were in a dilemma over the Kasturirangan panel report conservation of Western Ghats, but the "timely" intervention of the state government put an end to their worries, Antony said.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi addresses public meeting in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi
- Delhi government bans Chinese firecrackers for this Diwali