AAI orders probe into wall collapse at Goa airport
Panaji: The Airports Authority of India (AAI) has ordered a probe into the collapse of a retaining wall on Wednesday at a New International Airport Building (NITB) complex, which was commissioned only the previous day.
While no one was injured in the collapse of the over 25 metres wall, which rings the Dabolim international airport, located 35 km from here, AAI officials feel there was need to examine the quality of construction of the building.
"We have ordered an inquiry. We are simultaneously also trying to examine other parts of the building for the quality and durability of construction," an AAI official said.
Carlos Almeida, ruling Bharatiya Janata Party legislator from the Vasco constituency, who went on record against the hurried decision to make the NITB functional on Tuesday, said that with the monsoon approaching, the wall could be a death trap for people hanging out in the area.
"So many people often wait there to bid goodbye or to welcome their relatives and friends. The remainder part of the wall could be a death trap with the monsoon approaching," Almeida said.
The NITB of Goa`s only airport was constructed at the cost of Rs 345 crore and is designed to handle over 2,750 passengers at peak hour.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read