All rules to be followed in highway project near old churches: CM
Panaji: All rules would be followed while constructing the four-lane highway corridor next to the protected Churches in Old Goa, Goa Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar on Monday assured the Legislative Assembly.
Parrikar said the state government would ensure that the four-lane road, which passed next to the world heritage monuments, would be constructed only after fulfilling all the legal requirements.
The issue was raised in the Assembly by independent MLA Vijay Sardesai, who had questioned whether the state government had taken permission from National Monuments Authority while constructing the road.
During the discussion on the floor of the House, the Chief Minister lashed out at an Archaeological Survey of India (ASI) official accusing him of trying to sabotage all the development work planned in this area of Old Goa.
"This officer was objecting when a Priest wanted to repaint a Cross. I had to fight my way through," Parrikar said.
The Chief Minister said that currently, a National Highway runs between two monuments - Se Cathedral and Basilica of Bom Jesus.
The Churches in Old Goa are protected monuments. Basilica of Bom Jesus has the relics of St Francis Xavier, the patron saint of Goa.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- First Minister Nicola Sturgeon plans EU future for Scotland after Brexit
- Seven hospitalized in California stabbing at neo-Nazi rally
- I respect martyrdom but you're trained to kill enemy, not to die - Manohar Parrikar told jawans
- Pampore attack: Did CRPF ignore specific intelligence input from Jammu and Kashmir Police?
- Euro 2016: Belgium beat Hungary 4-0 to reach quarterfinal as Yannick Carrasco scores final goal