All rules to be followed in highway project near old churches: CM
Panaji: All rules would be followed while constructing the four-lane highway corridor next to the protected Churches in Old Goa, Goa Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar on Monday assured the Legislative Assembly.
Parrikar said the state government would ensure that the four-lane road, which passed next to the world heritage monuments, would be constructed only after fulfilling all the legal requirements.
The issue was raised in the Assembly by independent MLA Vijay Sardesai, who had questioned whether the state government had taken permission from National Monuments Authority while constructing the road.
During the discussion on the floor of the House, the Chief Minister lashed out at an Archaeological Survey of India (ASI) official accusing him of trying to sabotage all the development work planned in this area of Old Goa.
"This officer was objecting when a Priest wanted to repaint a Cross. I had to fight my way through," Parrikar said.
The Chief Minister said that currently, a National Highway runs between two monuments - Se Cathedral and Basilica of Bom Jesus.
The Churches in Old Goa are protected monuments. Basilica of Bom Jesus has the relics of St Francis Xavier, the patron saint of Goa.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing