Cong manifesto to demand for ban on sale of agri land
Panaji: Congress in Goa on Monday said that
the party manifesto for the forthcoming polls would include a
demand for a complete ban on the non-Goans and non-farmers
from buying agriculture land in the state.
Goa Congress spokesperson Ramakant Khalap told this to
He said that this point has been included in the party
manifesto for bringing about a solution to land scarcity,
faced by the tiny state.
Ahead of the March 3 assembly polls, the Congress is
giving final touches to its election manifesto, which is
likely to be made public in the next two weeks. A special
committee, headed by the former Union Minister of State for
External Affairs Eduardo Faleiro has been formed for this.
Khalap, who is the convenor of the Faleiro Committee,
said that the intention behind the move is to ensure that the
land is being saved and preserved for future generations.
"Drying land resources due to real estate has been a
major concern for the state," Khalap said.
Congress has promised to enact a law, once elected to
power that would make it compulsory for an individual to
reside in the state for 25 years, to claim himself to be a
Goan, which would entitle him to buy an agriculture property
if he is a farmer.
"Even a farmer from other states won`t be allowed to
buy a property in Goa," he said.
The party also intends to penalise the local farmers
who keep their lands fallow.
"The farmers would be encouraged to cultivate the
land," he said.
"All the Goans, who are committed towards `Goa for
Goans`, should not sell the agriculture properties," Khalap
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Helicopter crash kills six Vaishno Devi pilgrims, pilot near Katra; chopper service suspended