Cong manifesto to demand for ban on sale of agri land
Panaji: Congress in Goa on Monday said that
the party manifesto for the forthcoming polls would include a
demand for a complete ban on the non-Goans and non-farmers
from buying agriculture land in the state.
Goa Congress spokesperson Ramakant Khalap told this to
He said that this point has been included in the party
manifesto for bringing about a solution to land scarcity,
faced by the tiny state.
Ahead of the March 3 assembly polls, the Congress is
giving final touches to its election manifesto, which is
likely to be made public in the next two weeks. A special
committee, headed by the former Union Minister of State for
External Affairs Eduardo Faleiro has been formed for this.
Khalap, who is the convenor of the Faleiro Committee,
said that the intention behind the move is to ensure that the
land is being saved and preserved for future generations.
"Drying land resources due to real estate has been a
major concern for the state," Khalap said.
Congress has promised to enact a law, once elected to
power that would make it compulsory for an individual to
reside in the state for 25 years, to claim himself to be a
Goan, which would entitle him to buy an agriculture property
if he is a farmer.
"Even a farmer from other states won`t be allowed to
buy a property in Goa," he said.
The party also intends to penalise the local farmers
who keep their lands fallow.
"The farmers would be encouraged to cultivate the
land," he said.
"All the Goans, who are committed towards `Goa for
Goans`, should not sell the agriculture properties," Khalap
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Those ready to work 20 hours daily are welcome, rest can leave - UP CM Yogi Adityanath's message to govt officials
- India vs Australia: Ravindra Jadeja clobbers Steve O'Keefe, Nathan Lyon for sixes — VIDEO