Cortalim bypoll: Parties keep names of candidates
Panaji: On the eve of the last day of filing the nomination for Cortalim by-poll, several political parties including Congress, have kept names of their candidate under wraps.
The bypoll is scheduled to take place on June 2 and tomorrow is the last day of filing nominations.
Claiming that Congress has already fixed its candidate for the by-election, party`s state spokesman Jitendra Deshprabhu said it would be a local candidate. "A formal announcement would be made tomorrow," he said.
Congress sources stated that local leader Raymond D`Sa is a front runner for the party ticket even though former minister Churchill Alemao is pulling all stops to get the party nomination.
Cortalim by-poll was necessitated following the demise of Tourism Minister Matanhy Saldanha and BJP has fielded Saldanha`s wife Alina in the constituency.
Nationalist Congress Party (NCP), an alliance partner of Congress, had decided to field its own candidates but there is no formal confirmation from the party as yet.
Goa Vikas Party (GVP), a regional outfit with its strong presence in the constituency, is also contemplating over fielding a candidate. GVP supremo Fransisco Miccky Pacheco told PTI that a formal decision in this regard would be taken tomorrow.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news
- Indrani Mukerjea confesses to her role in Sheena Bora murder case
- 'Insulted' Samajwadi Party walks out of 'Janata Parivar', to contest Bihar polls alone
- BJP-RSS review meet, Day 2: NDA's education policy, Patel quota stir on agenda
- Sheena Bora on Indrani Mukerjea in her diary: `I hate my mother...she is a witch`