Crime Branch quizzes NSUI chief over cop-drug peddler nexus
Panaji: A day before leaving for Delhi to
meet Congress leader Rahul Gandhi, National Students Union of
India (NSUI) Goa president Sunil Kawathankar was today
interrogated by Crime Branch in connection with the police-
drug peddler nexus.
Kawathankar has launched a massive signature
campaign in the state demanding an inquiry by a central agency
into the nexus.
He will be handing over the memorandum to All India
Congress Committee General Secretary Rahul Gandhi in Delhi
tomorrow during the NSUI national executive committee meeting.
Emerging from crime branch office, Kawathankar said
that he was asked by the police to name the drug dealers in
the state. "They summoned me to the police station and asked
me to name drug dealers in Goa."
"This is an attempt to derail signature campaign
started by NSUI calling for proper probe in Goa’s drug trade,"
Kawathankar told reporters outside the Crime Branch office
"I told them that Deputy Superintendent of Police
Chandrakant Salgaonkar (investigating the nexus) himself is a
drug dealer and has dealings with drug dealer in Goa.
Police should raid his house and drugs will be found
there, he said.
Kawathankar said that he has been told that he will
be called again to the Crime Branch and will be interrogated
by a senior level officer.
"This is unfair, because people who raise voice
against drug lobby in Goa are being harassed by police. One of
the reasons for this is that police themselves are involved in
the drug dealings," the NSUI chief said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis on Ishrat Jahan encounter case
- DNA: After JNU, anti-India slogans at Delhi’s Press Club of India
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Headley's revelations: Will politicos who termed Ishrat Jahan 'beti' now apologise?- Part II
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal