Crime Branch quizzes NSUI chief over cop-drug peddler nexus
Panaji: A day before leaving for Delhi to
meet Congress leader Rahul Gandhi, National Students Union of
India (NSUI) Goa president Sunil Kawathankar was today
interrogated by Crime Branch in connection with the police-
drug peddler nexus.
Kawathankar has launched a massive signature
campaign in the state demanding an inquiry by a central agency
into the nexus.
He will be handing over the memorandum to All India
Congress Committee General Secretary Rahul Gandhi in Delhi
tomorrow during the NSUI national executive committee meeting.
Emerging from crime branch office, Kawathankar said
that he was asked by the police to name the drug dealers in
the state. "They summoned me to the police station and asked
me to name drug dealers in Goa."
"This is an attempt to derail signature campaign
started by NSUI calling for proper probe in Goa’s drug trade,"
Kawathankar told reporters outside the Crime Branch office
"I told them that Deputy Superintendent of Police
Chandrakant Salgaonkar (investigating the nexus) himself is a
drug dealer and has dealings with drug dealer in Goa.
Police should raid his house and drugs will be found
there, he said.
Kawathankar said that he has been told that he will
be called again to the Crime Branch and will be interrogated
by a senior level officer.
"This is unfair, because people who raise voice
against drug lobby in Goa are being harassed by police. One of
the reasons for this is that police themselves are involved in
the drug dealings," the NSUI chief said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai