Crime Branch quizzes NSUI chief over cop-drug peddler nexus
Panaji: A day before leaving for Delhi to
meet Congress leader Rahul Gandhi, National Students Union of
India (NSUI) Goa president Sunil Kawathankar was today
interrogated by Crime Branch in connection with the police-
drug peddler nexus.
Kawathankar has launched a massive signature
campaign in the state demanding an inquiry by a central agency
into the nexus.
He will be handing over the memorandum to All India
Congress Committee General Secretary Rahul Gandhi in Delhi
tomorrow during the NSUI national executive committee meeting.
Emerging from crime branch office, Kawathankar said
that he was asked by the police to name the drug dealers in
the state. "They summoned me to the police station and asked
me to name drug dealers in Goa."
"This is an attempt to derail signature campaign
started by NSUI calling for proper probe in Goa’s drug trade,"
Kawathankar told reporters outside the Crime Branch office
"I told them that Deputy Superintendent of Police
Chandrakant Salgaonkar (investigating the nexus) himself is a
drug dealer and has dealings with drug dealer in Goa.
Police should raid his house and drugs will be found
there, he said.
Kawathankar said that he has been told that he will
be called again to the Crime Branch and will be interrogated
by a senior level officer.
"This is unfair, because people who raise voice
against drug lobby in Goa are being harassed by police. One of
the reasons for this is that police themselves are involved in
the drug dealings," the NSUI chief said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state