Don`t burn your house because rats live in it: Goa CM on mining ban
Panaji: Referring to the blanket suspension of mining in Goa due to illegal activity in the sector, Goa Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar on Sunday said one should not burn the entire house because of rats living in it.
"Don`t burn your house because rats live in it," Parrikar said while addressing a conference of IIT Bombay alumni near here.
His comments came at the backdrop of the mining activity in Goa being halted since last year following Supreme Court directives which had asked the Central Empowered Committee (CEC) to investigate the illegal mining and submit its report.
The government has alleged that the ban has severely affected the state`s economy.
"If there is illegality, ban the illegality," Parrikar said, while participating in a discussion on `Future of learning in India to produce both skills and education`.
He also said that "the more green your state is, the court judgements and environment ministry conditions become more stringent," he said.
The ban on mining has resulted in the stopping of iron ore exports worth six billion dollars from Goa and nine billion dollars from Karnataka, resulting in the trade off set of 15 billion dollar, Parrikar said.
"On the other hand we had to start importing the ore," he pointed out.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...