Fishing trawlers stop operations ahead of ban
seas, even though a week is left before the official ban actually comes into force in the state.
The fishermen find it risky to go into the choppy sea, which has become violent due to onset of the monsoon here.
Goa Fishing Boat Owners Association President Simon Pereira said majority of the fishing boats are anchored at the shore.
"The boats cannot cope up with the rough sea," he said.
The fishing ban would be implemented across the state shoreline from June 15 onwards which will continue till July 31.
The state government has agreed to maintain the 45-day long ban, even as environmentalists and traditional fishermen are of the opinion that the ban should be exceeded further.
The trawlers and canoes with high powered motor are banned from fishing during monsoon, which also happens to be breeding period for fishes.
The small canoes with minor motor or manual rowing are allowed to fish during the ban period.
Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar said the ban period will remain same as that of last year.
"There are demands to increase it further. I also feel that it should more. But this year, there was no time to think about it," said Parrikar, who took over the reins on March 9.
The Goa government has also decided to tackle the issue of fishing trawlers from neighbouring Karnataka and Maharashtra encroaching into the Goan waters during the ban.
"We will also have to solve this issue of neighbouring fishermen fishing in Goan waters while we ban the local trawlers," Parrikar said.
As per the official statistics, 28,000 people in Goa are dependent on fishing for livelihood.
Plus, some 7,000 workers from outside the state find employment on trawlers here.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez