Goa govt refuses to withdraw entry tax
Panaji: Asserting that the state would not fall prey to the "blackmailing tactics" of a few traders` organisations from Maharashtra and Karnataka, the Goa government on Monday refused to roll back the controversial entry tax on the borders.
"How can traders from Belgaum (Karnataka) and Kolhapur (Maharashtra) dictate terms to Goa government? This is blackmailing," Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar told the Goa Legislative Assembly today.
Parrikar was responding to Zero Hour mention tabled by opposition legislators, including Mauvin Godinho, Aleixo Reginaldo Lourenco, Vijay Sardesai and Leader of Opposition Pratapsingh Rane on the issue.
Traders from Belgaum and Kolhapur are protesting against the imposition of entry tax and seeking its roll-back. They are not allowing vehicles from the two states to transport the commodities like milk and vegetables into Goa.
Parrikar said he has already held a dialogue with the transport ministers and chief secretaries of Karnataka and Maharashtra, who have assured their cooperation.
He said the state government might venture into other markets like Pune, Mumbai and Bangalore to buy the essential commodities.
"Traders cannot stop vehicles with essential commodities to Goa. If they do it, they have to realise that petrol and diesel for their region is sent through Goa," the Chief Minister said.
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed?
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part II
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part III
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part IV
- Why is "Make in India" given more importance than people dying of hunger?
- This is how Jawahar Lal Nehru reacted when asked about rumours of his second marriage
- This picture of an IAS officer has gone viral on social media - know why
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2016: Wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in class 10th X Result 2016 West Bengal Board is likely to be announced on May 10, 2016
- Four months after Pathankot terror attack, bodies of 4 terrorists buried
- These five super-foods will help you lose weight in the summer!