Goa mining: Parrikar welcomes Pawar`s mediation move, BJP fumes
Panaji: Even as Goa Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar welcomed union agriculture minister Sharad Pawar`s assurance to mediate between those affected by stalled mining activity and the Centre, his party, the BJP, slammed the NCP chief for "politicising" the issue.
"I have full faith in Pawar to resolve the crisis. He will take up the issue with Centre in all seriousness. Pawar`s intervention can help to resolve the mining issue," Parrikar told reporters hours before the BJP organised a press conference criticising Pawar.
Pawar had met and assured pro-mining agitators yesterday, holding chain sit-in protests under the banner of Goa Mining Affected People`s Front (AMAPF), at Azad maidan in Panaji, that he would seek to convene a meeting of the concerned ministries over resumption of mining activity.
Slamming Pawar, BJP spokesman Dr Pramod Sawant told reporters that the minister`s assurance of heading an all party delegation to Delhi was "unwarranted".
"Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar has already decided to lead an all-party delegation to Delhi, at an appropriate time...NCP is merely trying to politicise the issue," Sawant said.
On the BJP`s joining the cause of the people affected by closure of mining in the coastal state following an interim ban imposed by the Supreme Court on transportation and extraction of ore in Goa, Sawant said, "BJP legislators are with the agitators since beginning, sympathising with their cause".
The apex court had asked the Central Empowered Committee (CEC) to conduct detailed investigation into illegal mining in Goa, resulting in halt of activity in all the 90-odd mining leases in the state.
Sawant said the state government had already filed a full proof affidavit in the Supreme Court presenting complete picture about the mining industry.
"If at all Pawar wants to help people affected with the mining closure, he should try to get a financial package for them from the Centre, demanded by the state government," he added.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference