Goa mining: Parrikar welcomes Pawar`s mediation move, BJP fumes
Panaji: Even as Goa Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar welcomed union agriculture minister Sharad Pawar`s assurance to mediate between those affected by stalled mining activity and the Centre, his party, the BJP, slammed the NCP chief for "politicising" the issue.
"I have full faith in Pawar to resolve the crisis. He will take up the issue with Centre in all seriousness. Pawar`s intervention can help to resolve the mining issue," Parrikar told reporters hours before the BJP organised a press conference criticising Pawar.
Pawar had met and assured pro-mining agitators yesterday, holding chain sit-in protests under the banner of Goa Mining Affected People`s Front (AMAPF), at Azad maidan in Panaji, that he would seek to convene a meeting of the concerned ministries over resumption of mining activity.
Slamming Pawar, BJP spokesman Dr Pramod Sawant told reporters that the minister`s assurance of heading an all party delegation to Delhi was "unwarranted".
"Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar has already decided to lead an all-party delegation to Delhi, at an appropriate time...NCP is merely trying to politicise the issue," Sawant said.
On the BJP`s joining the cause of the people affected by closure of mining in the coastal state following an interim ban imposed by the Supreme Court on transportation and extraction of ore in Goa, Sawant said, "BJP legislators are with the agitators since beginning, sympathising with their cause".
The apex court had asked the Central Empowered Committee (CEC) to conduct detailed investigation into illegal mining in Goa, resulting in halt of activity in all the 90-odd mining leases in the state.
Sawant said the state government had already filed a full proof affidavit in the Supreme Court presenting complete picture about the mining industry.
"If at all Pawar wants to help people affected with the mining closure, he should try to get a financial package for them from the Centre, demanded by the state government," he added.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: America standing against old nemesis Russia rather than ISIS
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know