Goa MP seeks death penalty for rapists
Panaji: A Congress MP from Goa today moved a
private member bill in Rajya Sabha seeking amendment in
section 376 of IPC providing death penalty for certain
category of offences of rape.
In his statement of objects and reasons, Shantaram Naik
says that certain classes of rapes are to be handled
differently providing for more stringent punishment
considering the circumstances under which such offences are
The bill provides for death penalty or imprisonment for
life to whoever being a police officer commits rape within
the limits of the police station to which he is appointed or
in the premises of any station house whether or not situated
in the police station to which he is appointed.
The death penalty should also be awarded to a police
officer if he rapes a woman in his custody or in the custody
of his subordinate.
The Rajya Sabha MP has also said that if a public servant
takes advantage of his official position and rapes a woman in
his custody should be dealt with death penalty or life term.
The death sentence should also be awarded to a person,
part of the staff of a hospital, who takes advantage of his
official position and rapes a woman in that hospital.
Those raping pregnant woman or girls below the age of 12
should also be awarded death penalty, the bill reads.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena's diary reveals disturbed relationship with parents: DNA reports
- Sheena case: Indrani quizzed jointly with Peter, denies killing daughter
- PM Modi's Buddha mantra for peace at Global Hindu Buddhist Conclave
- Govt extended last date for e-filing of I-T return to Sept 7
- DNA: Bharat Bandh hits normal life; Bengal, Kerala among most affected
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news
- Indrani Mukerjea confesses to her role in Sheena Bora murder case
- 'Insulted' Samajwadi Party walks out of 'Janata Parivar', to contest Bihar polls alone
- BJP-RSS review meet, Day 2: NDA's education policy, Patel quota stir on agenda