Goa MP seeks death penalty for rapists
Panaji: A Congress MP from Goa today moved a
private member bill in Rajya Sabha seeking amendment in
section 376 of IPC providing death penalty for certain
category of offences of rape.
In his statement of objects and reasons, Shantaram Naik
says that certain classes of rapes are to be handled
differently providing for more stringent punishment
considering the circumstances under which such offences are
The bill provides for death penalty or imprisonment for
life to whoever being a police officer commits rape within
the limits of the police station to which he is appointed or
in the premises of any station house whether or not situated
in the police station to which he is appointed.
The death penalty should also be awarded to a police
officer if he rapes a woman in his custody or in the custody
of his subordinate.
The Rajya Sabha MP has also said that if a public servant
takes advantage of his official position and rapes a woman in
his custody should be dealt with death penalty or life term.
The death sentence should also be awarded to a person,
part of the staff of a hospital, who takes advantage of his
official position and rapes a woman in that hospital.
Those raping pregnant woman or girls below the age of 12
should also be awarded death penalty, the bill reads.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list