Goa MP seeks death penalty for rapists
Panaji: A Congress MP from Goa today moved a
private member bill in Rajya Sabha seeking amendment in
section 376 of IPC providing death penalty for certain
category of offences of rape.
In his statement of objects and reasons, Shantaram Naik
says that certain classes of rapes are to be handled
differently providing for more stringent punishment
considering the circumstances under which such offences are
The bill provides for death penalty or imprisonment for
life to whoever being a police officer commits rape within
the limits of the police station to which he is appointed or
in the premises of any station house whether or not situated
in the police station to which he is appointed.
The death penalty should also be awarded to a police
officer if he rapes a woman in his custody or in the custody
of his subordinate.
The Rajya Sabha MP has also said that if a public servant
takes advantage of his official position and rapes a woman in
his custody should be dealt with death penalty or life term.
The death sentence should also be awarded to a person,
part of the staff of a hospital, who takes advantage of his
official position and rapes a woman in that hospital.
Those raping pregnant woman or girls below the age of 12
should also be awarded death penalty, the bill reads.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery