Goa panel wants drug nexus case to be handed over to CBI
Panaji: A legislature panel has taken a view
that the police-drug peddler nexus probe be handed over to
CBI, even as the Goa government is delaying the move.
"It is important that such nexus is nipped in the bud in
the interest of the next generation. It (the committee) has no
hesitation to recommend that the drug nexus needs to be
cracked down on priority" the Ad hoc Committee on Home chaired
by the Leader of Opposition Manohar Parrikar said in a report,
adding the case be handed over to the CBI.
"The committee strongly feels that the police department
is not at all serious in cracking the police-politician-drug
peddler nexus," the report said.
Passing strictures against the police, the committee has
said that police are more interested in protecting their
"The investigating team has done no serious efforts to
gather evidence in the case," the committee said.
Seven policemen were arrested after Israeli drug peddler
Yaniv Benaim alias Atala had confessed on spy cam about his
links with anti narcotic cell police.
The legislative committee has also recommended that the
Crime Branch should be trained to handle the criminal cases to
prepare better investigation reports during trial proceedings
to increase the conviction rate in general and crime rate in
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened