Goa panel wants drug nexus case to be handed over to CBI
Panaji: A legislature panel has taken a view
that the police-drug peddler nexus probe be handed over to
CBI, even as the Goa government is delaying the move.
"It is important that such nexus is nipped in the bud in
the interest of the next generation. It (the committee) has no
hesitation to recommend that the drug nexus needs to be
cracked down on priority" the Ad hoc Committee on Home chaired
by the Leader of Opposition Manohar Parrikar said in a report,
adding the case be handed over to the CBI.
"The committee strongly feels that the police department
is not at all serious in cracking the police-politician-drug
peddler nexus," the report said.
Passing strictures against the police, the committee has
said that police are more interested in protecting their
"The investigating team has done no serious efforts to
gather evidence in the case," the committee said.
Seven policemen were arrested after Israeli drug peddler
Yaniv Benaim alias Atala had confessed on spy cam about his
links with anti narcotic cell police.
The legislative committee has also recommended that the
Crime Branch should be trained to handle the criminal cases to
prepare better investigation reports during trial proceedings
to increase the conviction rate in general and crime rate in
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured