Goa provides financial muscle to unemployed to fight inflation
Panaji: With inflation hovering above average, a scheme to support the unemployed through the state-run Goa Horticulture Corporation has become a hit with close to 600 outlets selling vegetables at subsidised rates.
The state-run GSHCL now supports the largest chain of vegetable outlets in the state and their number is increasing each passing month.
According to Orland Rodrigues, Managing Director of GSHCL, there are 575 outlets operational till date selling around 200 tonne of vegetables every day at wholesale rate.
The cost of vegetables procured from neighbouring Karnataka is around Rs 6-7 crore a month.
The scheme, he said, was the part of the state government`s initiative to bring down inflation.
"It is anti-inflation scheme which is getting support from the government. The selling of vegetables at subsidised rates helps to stabilise the market prices of this commodity", he said.
Vegetable market in Goa has traditionally been controlled by vendors from Karnataka, settled in the state, and vegetables are procured from market in Belgaum in the neighbouring state.
"The scheme has also helped to rein in the monopoly of certain vegetable vendors controlling the market. Vegetable at GSHCL outlets are being sold at 15 per cent lesser rate, while owner of the outlets typically earns 20 per cent of commission", said Rodrigues.
The scheme launched by the GSHCL in 2007 had a humble beginning and was modified in 2008 when global recession hit economies. But that was the past. GSHCL has now became supporter of the biggest chain of outlets, which has helped more than 500 families in the state to earn their livelihood, Rodrigues said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP likely to form next govt in Bihar: Mulayam Singh
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Bihar Polls: Lalu Yadav's controversial tweet against Karpoori Thakur and PM Modi
- Hafiz Saeed teaching terrorism to children in Pakistan
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- 2015 Bihar Assembly Elections: 57% voting in first phase, women voters outnumber men
- Five ways to get pregnant fast!
- After Azhar, Harbhajan Singh visits Navjot Singh Sidhu in hospital!