Goa school bus mishap: 4 children among 6 killed
Panaji: Four children were among six persons
killed today when a school bus plunged into a river in Aldona
village near here.
Bodies of Priyal Salgaoncar (10), Diana Dias (8), Elvina
Dias (11) and Nigel Gracias (10) along with Josephine Dias
(58) and Dayanand Hoble (55) were fished out from Kalvi river,
Deputy Inspector General of Police Ravindra Yadav said, adding
the mishap ccurred at 12.20 PM when the bus of St Thomas Girls
High School from Aldona was taking the children home.
The driver and conductor escaped unhurt as they jumped out
from the vehicle which fell into the river next to a wharf, 15
km from here, while all of its other occupants got trapped and
drowned, police said.
Police have arrested the bus driver and owner Rajesh Naik
on charges of culpable homicide. "Naik in his preliminary
statement has claimed that brakes of the bus failed resulting
in the mishap," Yadav said.
The state government has ordered a magisterial inquiry
into the incident.
Search is on for body of another woman who was in the bus
at the time of the mishap, he said.
The rescue teams of local police, Marine police,
Indian Navy and Indian Coast guard were rushed to the spot
immediately after the accident.
The bus was pulled out of water almost one-and-a-half
hours after the incident using a mechanical crane, Yadav said.
Indian Navy had pressed three Chetak helicopters and a
team of 10 divers to the spot, while locals have also joined
in the rescue operation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list