Goa Vikas Party all set to fight Cortalim assembly bypoll
Panaji: Regional outfit Goa Vikas Party is all set to contest the upcoming bypoll to Cortalim assembly constituency on June 2.
The by-election was necessitated following the death of BJP minister Matanhy Saldanha who died of cardiac arrest.
Saldanha`s wife, Elena, has been tipped off as BJP`s candidate for the assembly segment.
GVP supremo Fransisco `Micky` Pacheco told PTI that the party was gearing up for the bypoll.
The party candidate Nelly Rodrigues had lost by a whisker in this constituency in March 3 assembly election and the party is likely to name a new nominee for the byelection.
Pacheco said that the election would be fought on the issue of medium of instruction (MOI) in the elementary education and also new Greenfield Airport Project at Mopa.
"Cortalim constituency houses Dabolim airport which is a main facility for South Goa. The state government is now supporting another airport at Mopa which will spoil the economy of South Goa," Pacheco, a former tourism minister, said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'