Goa Vikas Party all set to fight Cortalim assembly bypoll
Panaji: Regional outfit Goa Vikas Party is all set to contest the upcoming bypoll to Cortalim assembly constituency on June 2.
The by-election was necessitated following the death of BJP minister Matanhy Saldanha who died of cardiac arrest.
Saldanha`s wife, Elena, has been tipped off as BJP`s candidate for the assembly segment.
GVP supremo Fransisco `Micky` Pacheco told PTI that the party was gearing up for the bypoll.
The party candidate Nelly Rodrigues had lost by a whisker in this constituency in March 3 assembly election and the party is likely to name a new nominee for the byelection.
Pacheco said that the election would be fought on the issue of medium of instruction (MOI) in the elementary education and also new Greenfield Airport Project at Mopa.
"Cortalim constituency houses Dabolim airport which is a main facility for South Goa. The state government is now supporting another airport at Mopa which will spoil the economy of South Goa," Pacheco, a former tourism minister, said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Jallikattu protests LIVE: Kamal Haasan urges agitators to stay calm, says `none can take away your rights`
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS