Goa`s `drug-prone` beach villages under surveillance: Parrikar
Panaji: The "drug-prone" beach villages of Goa are being kept under surveillance "to create a strong deterrent impact against the drug activities" there, Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar said Wednesday.
"To create a strong deterrent impact against the drug activities in the drugs-prone areas like Calangute, Baga, Anjuna, Vagator, Chapora, Arambol, Colva Palolem and Majorda, these beach areas are kept under continuous surveillance," the chief minister said in a written reply to the Goa assembly.
He also said that bars, restaurants and shacks along the drug-prone coastal belt are subjected to surprise checks to keep tabs on possible drug trade, while a watch is also maintained on suspected drug dealers.
"Watch is also being maintained on the lodges in Mapusa, Panaji, Margao, Vasco and lodges which are situated near railway stations and bus stands for suspects arriving in Goa with consignment of drugs," Parrikar said.
He added that 182 cases have been registered in the state under the Narcotics Drugs and Psychotropic Substances Act over the last three years.
Goa is one of the top beach tourism destinations in India, while its coastline is also known for narco tourism. The state attracts three million tourists annually, out of which half a million are foreigners.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened