‘Illegal mining may shut legal mines’
Panaji: Goa Assembly`s Public Accounts
Committee (PAC) is understood to have expressed fears that if
illegal mining in the state is not curbed, even the legal
mines here will face closure, highly-placed sources said.
The PAC report, which will be tabled in the House during
the Assembly session that begins on Wednesday, has reportedly
indicted the state government for allegedly encouraging
It is learnt that the report says that illegal mining has
resulted in strain on infrastructure, ecology, agriculture and
threatens to destroy the water security of the state if it is
not controlled immediately.
"During the series of meetings, the PAC observed that the
overburden of illegal mining is damaging the prospects of
legal mining," the source stated.
The PAC report, which has relied on the data provided by
Directorate of Mines and Geology (DOMG) and Forest Department,
has calculated that annually around 20 million tonnes of ore
is exported from the state.
"The total value of the ore that is mined in violation of
the law on Mining and Environment exceeds Rs 4,000 crore
annually," the sources stated.
It is learnt that the report has directly indicted
politicians and officers from the Mines as well as the Forest
Department, including their secretaries and director of Mines
According to sources, the report says that details like
involvement of politicians, quantum of illegalities and
financial transactions, etc can only be known after a
The report is understood to have recommended that an
independent agency like CBI or Lokayukta be asked to probe
into illegal mining nexus being carried out in connivance of
local politicians, bureaucrats of the Mines and Forest
departments and police force.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- BSF cancels beating the retreat ceremony at Wagah post surgical strikes
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says