Mining closure: GMPF slams former Lokayukta Hegde
Panaji: Former Karnataka Lokayukta Justice (retd) Santosh Hegde drew flak from the Goa Mining People`s Front for insinuating that illegal mining was akin to Underworld activities.
"We condemn the statement of Hegde equating us with Dawood Ibrahim. We are the workers who have been toiling on the mining leases to make our livelihood", Suhas Naik, Convener, Goa Mining People`s Front (GMPF) told reporters here today.
GMPF represents the people affected by the closure of mining activity in the state. The Supreme Court had last year imposed an interim ban on mining in the coastal state.
During his interaction with media yesterday, Hegde had invoked Underworld to support his argument that those indulged in illegal mining business did not deserve any compensation.
"We can not ask illegalities to be perpetrated because some people are going to remain hungry...Frankly speaking (this is like) many people losing their jobs if Dawood Ibrahim were to be arrested", he had said.
Dismissing Hegde`s observation, Naik said, "If he is treating us like Dawood Ibrahim then (it means) he did not want us in society".
GMPF, which had been holding the sit-in protest at Azad Maidan here for resumption of legal mining, today announced that it was withdrawing the agitation and will be launching it at Jantar Mantar in New Delhi on April 15-16.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- DNA: 50-lane traffic jam in China during national holiday
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Bihar Assembly Elections: Opinion poll predicts absolute majority for Modi-led NDA
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest
- Mother Teresa’s Missionaries of Charity orphanages to be derecognised?